As I am standing in the bathroom wallowing in my admittedly excruciating period pain, R.E.M.’s “Everybody hurts” is floating through my mind.
At this very moment 1000s of other women around the world are experiencing similar cramps, tensions and/or feelings of nausea related to their monthly discomfort.
I have been occupying myself with learning more about the chakras lately. The one that comes to mind here is the second one, the scaral chakra or Svadisthana in Sanskrit. When unbalanced we can feel stuck unable to move forward. And that again fits with what my TCM practitioner told me about period pain. The smooth flow of blood and / or energy is interrupted, the blood flow stagnates and depriving the pelvic region of adequate oxygen, nutrients, and waste removal.
So here are some things that may help in balancing the second chakra:
Free image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
I just wanted to share what other women found helpful in terms of finding relief from menstrual problems. So if you are interested in further REMEDIES for PERIOD PAIN read on:
- Life style changes to reduce stress and unhappiness as stress aggravates menstrual problems.
- Hemp oil. Hemp oil is very rich with unsaturated fats and essential fatty acids (OMEGA 3 and OMEGA 6), strengthens the immune system, and has a natural anti-inflammatory effect. Take 1-2 teaspoons a day, either on its own or with food. It can also be rubbed into the skin of the area where the cramping is.
- Turmeric. Turmeric or Cucurma is part of the ginger family and not only serves as an antiseptic for cuts and burns but also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities and relieves period pain. In Bali I used to drink “Jamu” a tumeric juice containing fresh turmeric, lime juice and honey which not only strengthens the immune system and detoxifies the body but also helps with all sorts of stomach upsets.
- Castor oil packs. Castor oil packs are made by soaking a piece of flannel in castor oil and placing it on the skin. The flannel is covered with a sheet of plastic, and then a hot water bottle is placed over the plastic to heat the pack. A castor oil pack is placed on the skin to promote elimination and healing of the tissues and organs, relieve pain, and reduce inflammation. Fore more info about castor-oil-packs click here: http://www.holisticmd.org/self-help-corner/self-help-for-the-body/castor-oil-packs/
What I am grateful for today:
- A good nights sleep
- Finally having some time to myself
- My warm and cozy home especially in this weather